Pocket billiard tables are rectangular in shape, twice as long as wide. Table sizes are usually measured by the playing space inside the cushions. Most table sizes are:
- 3 x 6 - hard to find at a professional quality level (can be custom ordered). Usually made of cheap material for use by younger children (6 to 12). Occasionally, they pop up as antiques. This size was never popular.
- 3.5 x 7 (38" x 76") - the common "bar room" table, because this size is mostly found in bars as coin operated tables. Because space is generally limited, these tables can usually replace a couple of tables and chairs. In bars, these provide a relatively good gross sales per square foot. They can also be found in homes with smaller square foot rooms or in single car garage spaces.
- 4 x 8 home (44" x 88") - this size sells the most of all the sizes. It fits in almost all homes that have a recreation room or a basement.
- 4 x 8 pro (46" x 92") - this size is an excellent compromise between the home size and professional size.
- 4.5 x 9 (50" x 100") - used in professional tournament and pool halls, a long-time serious player who finally gets a home table will only settle for this size.
- 5 x 10 - these are usually used for billiards games (3-cushion, English billiards, 14/18 balkline, etc.) with (no pockets and 3 balls). As pool tables, these are also known as "monster" tables. This size is rare and usually only found as an antique, often used as 1 Pocket tables. The last few years has seen many of the pro tournaments played on this size. If you are lucky enough to have access to one, practicing on this makes a 9 footer feel lke an 8, and an 8 like a 7. This size is most commonly available as a billiards table (no pockets).
There are also pool tables made in novelty forms, such as circular, square, and hexagonal, even a zig-zag table. Another common table is the bumper pool table, usually found as part of a "combination" table that offers a playing surface for poker, bumper pool, and chess/checkers.
|Get the Book!! $7.00
PDF book (good for smart devices)
(Includes my Money-back Guarantee)
Books to Expand Pool Knowledge